• How your customers’ finance teams are dealing with the pandemic (2:08)
• Engaging the Finance team beyond Procurement (5:12)
• Don’t be afraid to bring your own finance people to customer conversations (11:07)
• Underrated: How risk factors into Finance’s analysis of your products and solutions (22:00)
• The four key aspects of cash flow (25:14)
• During discovery process, seek to learn your customer’s KPIs and how they are measured so you can express your benefits in their terms (32:11)
Harvey Dunham: Hello everyone. My name is Harvey Dunham. I’m the manager of strategy and marketing at the Strategic Account Management Association, and I’ve been here for four years, but that’s after a 35-year career with Schneider Electric, where I started in sales, I ended as a global solution VP, and, along the way, I was a SAM and a leader of SAM programs in three different businesses. So the topic we want to discuss today is one that I know is very important to Schneider Electric and to every company that’s practicing strategic account management.
And that subject is the importance of quantifying and validating the value that a SAM is delivering to the customer. And I’m delighted to say that Chris Ferguson is joining us. Chris is the VP of business development and delivery at The Summit Group, and he leads Summit’s practice in quantification and the monetization of value. In his career, he’s worked as an investment banker, and he’s held executive roles both in sales and in finance for startup companies and Fortune 500 companies. So he’s really got the insight, from the sales perspective, from the finance perspective, from the company perspective of how important value quantification is and what it means to run a business.
Chris Ferguson: Thank you, Harvey. We really appreciate our partnership with SAMA.
Harvey Dunham: Maybe before I jump right into the value quantification discussion, there’s a point I’d like to address because it’s so topical and timely, which is the pandemic. Maybe if you could just give our audience some insight into what are finance teams doing right now in the face of the pandemic, and how are they helping their companies navigate through this?Continue reading “Positioning your value for maximum impact with customers: An interview with a former CFO on how companies make investment decisions”